May Day is coming! Join OEA in standing up for the Schools our Students Deserve as part of a national day of action at local school sites Monday, May 1, 2017.
This is a great opportunity for educators to organize at school sites and connect with their community to:
- Welcome, protect, and defend all students, no matter their ethnicity, gender identity, and/or immigration status.
- Provide a safe learning environment for all students regardless of where they were born, how they look, or who they love.
- Invest in our future by fully funding public education.
- Protect our public schools from privatization that drains resources from public school students.
Here is how you can get involved:
- Take the online pledge
- Wear “Red for Ed” on May 1
- Wear an “ALL STUDENTS” sticker (Talk to your UniServ Office about how to get one)
- Share what you are doing for May Day on social media using the hashtag #OEAMayDay
- Like the #OEAMayDay event on Facebook and post your photos to the event page
IN YOUR SCHOOL
- Organize a ‘WALK-IN’ before school with colleagues and community members to support all of our students
- Take a group picture with your colleagues and post it to social media using the hashtag #OEAMayDay
IN YOUR COMMUNITY
- Ask your School Board to pass a resolution confirming your district as a Safe Zone
- Attend a public community event celebrating May Day and take an OEA May Day sign
- Support our immigrant community by making a donation to one of our partner organizations, Causa