// News

Cuts to educators’ benefits pass the House, move on to the Governor

Dear OEA Members,   Today the Oregon House of Representatives…

// News

Take Action on the Student Success Act

Legislature releases historic education investment proposal,…

// Events

May 8th


Membership Resources

Know Your Rights as an Educator

Your Rights to Union Representation

  • As a union member, you have certain rights in the workplace. If you are called into an investigatory or information-gathering meeting with a supervisor where you have reason to believe that discipline may result, make sure you follow these steps. And call your union!
  • Request union representation clearly. Present this information to management or read the text below.
  • Refuse respectfully to answer questions until your union representation arrives. The district does not have a legal right to continue questioning without a union representative present after this request is made.
  • Remain in the meeting until it ends.


“If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined, terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative, officer or building representative be present. Until my representative arrives, I choose not to participate in this interview.”


Other Rights in the Workplace

As an educator and public employee, your job is governed by different entities that protect you. Your union representative and OEA can help you understand how to ensure your rights are respected and your workplace is in compliance with all laws and statutes. Our union makes sure that you are treated as a professional. The union ensures that your rights as a worker are upheld, the rules at our jobs are enforced, and that we are treated fairly.


Employment Rights:

  • If you are the victim of harassment, unfair treatment, or other discrimination at work, OEA can help you navigate this experience. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) protects all Oregon employees.
  • If you have a dispute regarding your contract or rights as a union member, OEA will work with the Oregon Employment Relations Board (ERB) to stand up for you.
  • The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) enforces employer compliance with wage and hour laws, civil rights law, and terms and conditions of employment. If you are not receiving owed compensation, OEA will work with BOLI to ensure your contract is upheld.
  • If you are facing discipline or discharge from your position, your union will work to ensure that due process is followed and your rights are respected.
  • You are entitled to a 30 minute duty-free lunch break. If you don’t receive this break, your union can help!


Health and Safety

  • If you are injured on the job, OEA can help you access workers’ compensation.
  • You have the right to discuss safety or health problems with your co-workers, report job hazards to Oregon Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), and participate in union activities about safety and health matters.
  • It is your employer’s responsibility to tell you the safety and health rules of your job and to train you on these rules.

Other Questions:

  • If you lose your job, you may have access to certain benefits such as unemployment insurance and COBRA health insurance. Your union can help you secure these benefits.
  • As a new educator, you may have questions about the probationary period. OEA can help you navigate this time.
  • If you have questions about the professional evaluation process, OEA will help ensure that proper district and contractual processes are being followed.


Accessing Your Union 


Our union is there to protect us as professionals so we can best serve our students. Your union dues allow the union to effectively negotiate with your district to secure your salary, benefits, and working conditions. When more members choose to be a part of the union, we can achieve stronger contracts.The Oregon Education Association is here for you!

Please email us at help@oregoned.org or give us a call at 503-684-3300 to be directed to someone who can assist you!


Need something? Have a question?

Start by asking the union representative who works in your building or worksite. Not sure who that is? Give us a call or email using the information above and we’ll get you connected.


We’re here to help if:

  • You need a copy of your contract.
  • You have questions about your rights at work.
  • You’re having an issue with your administrator or supervisor.
  • You have questions or concerns about salary placement or contract compliance.
  • You need information about retirement and healthcare benefits (OEA negotiates for these benefits on your behalf).
  • You want to get involved in student-focused policy change.
  • You’re interested in professional development opportunities.
  • You have any other questions about employment matters!


Please email us at help@oregoned.org or give us a call at 503-684-3300 to be directed to someone who can assist you!