Get Involved. Make a Difference.
Are you interested in helping build your local association's political strength? Would you like to work with coalitions, fellow members and elected officials to better our schools?
The OEA Political Cadre program, part of the Strategic Action Plan, is designed to encourage OEA members to build toward our statewide political objectives and develop local political programs in their own communities. This six-month-long program is focused on skill building for long-term political power (rather than for special projects or elections).
OEA Political Cadre positions, outside of special projects, include five primary project areas:
- building local pro-public education political programs in the local community;
- organizing local union members to engage and participate in legislative advocacy efforts;
- implementing a dynamic OEA-PIE drive, including building visits and fundraising training;
- working on local levy/bond measures and/or school board races by engaging in candidate, volunteer recruitment, and campaign activities;
- building grassroots political power with resources provided by OEA’s Strategic Action Plan.
Who: Any OEA members who are interested are encouraged to work with their Local and Council leadership to apply.
When: Term of assignment can be defined by one semester or one academic year, depending on the applicant.
Stipend: Members can receive a stipend of up to $2,000 for participating for full length of the program.
For More Information: Please send an e-mail to Jenny Smith if you are interested in becoming a political cadre.