// News

Students in the Lead: Culturally Responsive Teaching

2017 OEA Education Symposium a Success Featured speaker, Zaretta…

// Events

Lift Every Voice

Aug. 1-3, 2017

2017 OEA Summer Leadership Conference Unity // Action //…

// Campaigns

Take Action on May Day

May Day is coming! Join OEA in standing up for the Schools our…

Oregon Political Tax Credit

Information for the Oregon Department of Revenue

Who can claim the credit?

To qualify, you must have contributed money in the tax year you claim the credit. You must reduce the amount of your contribution by the fair market value (FMV) of any item(s) or service(s) you receive in exchange for your contribution. Contributions of goods or services do not qualify. Keep receipts from the candidate or organization with your tax records. You can use copies of canceled checks as your receipt.

How much is the credit?

Your credit is equal to your contribution, but limited to $100 on a joint return or $50 on a single or separate return. The $3 check-off on the Oregon tax return does not qualify for this credit.

Partners or S corporation shareholders can claim a credit for their share of political contributions made by the partnership or S corporation. The contribution must meet the statutory requirements. The $50 and $100 limits apply individually to each partner's or shareholder's return.

No carryforward. The credit cannot be more than your tax liability for Oregon. Any credit not used this year is lost.

Which contributions qualify?

Candidates and their principal campaign committees. You can claim a credit for a contribution to a candidate for federal, state, or local elective office, or to the candidate's principal campaign committee. To qualify, at least one of the following must occur in Oregon the same calendar year you made your contribution:

The candidate's name must be listed on a primary, general, or special election ballot,
A prospective petition of nomination must be filed by or for the candidate,
A declaration of candidacy must be filed by or for the candidate,
A certificate of nomination must be filed by or for the candidate,
A designation of a principal campaign committee must be filed with the Oregon Secretary of State's Office. Note: The designation must be made in each year a contribution is made to qualify under this provision.
Political action committees. You can claim a credit for contributions to political action committees (PACs). The organization must have certified the name of its political treasurer with the appropriate filing officer, usually the Secretary of State for statewide or regional elections, your county clerk for county elections, or your city recorder for city elections. PACs registered with the Federal Elections Commission may not be required to register in Oregon.

Political parties. Political parties can be national, state, or local committees of major political parties. Oregon also allows a tax credit for contributions made to minor political parties that qualify under state law. Contact the Oregon Secretary of State's Office in Salem at 503-986-1518 to see if a particular party qualifies.